Wednesday, September 13, 2006

US Open

The US Open Tennis were significant for a number of reasons.

Firstly Martina Navratilova retired. I do hope that this is it. She went out in style winning the mixed doubles. She was undoubtedly an all time great but I really didn't see what the point of her latest comeback was.

There was also talk that if Rafa Nadal won the event he could legitimately claim to be world number one. As it Nadal went out early and Roger Federer wona at a canter. He lost two sets all tournament and always seemed to have something in reserve. He has now one 5 of the last 6 Grand Slams and was in the final of the other one! To watch Federer play is a thing of beauty. His game is not based solely on raw power, which he has, but also on touch and finesse.

Talking of beauty Maria Sharapova finally proved she is not a one trick pony. She always seems to go out in the semi-final but here she eased past Amelie Mauresmo before over powering Henin-Ardenne in straight sets.

Sharapova already earned more money than any other tennis player. Can you imagine what she'll earn on the back of this? Still she is has proved that she is a genuine player (unlike a certain Ms Anna Kournikova) so good luck to her. I wish she would stop squealing though.

Spare of a thought for Justine Henin-Ardenne. She reached all 4 finals this year winning only one.

1 comment:

Eagleseagles said...

It would be nice to remove her vocal chords...have to say really irritates me!!

Congratulations to Martina....what a career!!I think she had anothercomeback because she could!! I do hope its the last, as well.I always thought it best to go out on a high...but I think it was like a drug for her...really hard to give up.

Federer what a Champion. Love his style...the touch...the elegance...

Last player that I loved to watch as much? John McEnroe...
C

Blog Status

This blog is on beta blogger. I believe blogger has now fixed the comments problem.