Friday, September 15, 2006

The Noble Art

I must admit to enjoying boxing. It may seem odd to regard to grown men thumping the hell out of each other as sport but there you go.

Firstly boxers show each other respect. Whatever is said before the fight afterwards they show each other respect.

Perhaps the finest two fights I saw were the two involving Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran.

Before the first Duran made remarks about Leonard's wife. Leonard was incensed and stood his ground and lost, but lost heroically. He proved he was a fighter. In the rematch he boxed and humiliated Duran

Tradgedies happen. When Johnny Owen died after a fight with the great Lupe Pintor Owen's family certainly held no blame to Pintor and invited him to a memorial service.

Sadly one of the best fights ever to involve a Briitsh boxer was Benn vs McClellan. It was savage and Benn, a fighter who I had never really admired, showed immense guts. Sadly McClellan suffered brain damage was left in a wheel chair.

Should it be banned? I think not, nor does a fighter like Michael Watson who also was brain damaged. Watson also saw it as an occupational hazard. Like a grand prix driver in a crash.

.

2 comments:

flicker said...

Yay, at last I have found another person who likes boxing! I don't follow it so much nowadays, but loved the past times watching people like Muhammed Ali, Our 'Enry of course, but in more modern times I like Audley Harrison. I also like to watch amateur boxing more, especially the Olympics. I think the lighter divisions are more exciting to watch than two heavyweight lumps slugging it out though, and the three rounds of them bashing hell out of each other is very exciting!

The Quacks of Life said...

Totally agree about the lighter divisions. So much faster and more happening.

Can't agree about Audley though :)

Blog Status

This blog is on beta blogger. I believe blogger has now fixed the comments problem.