Sunday, February 11, 2007

So we won

well after loads of brickbats and sarcastic comments from yours truly we won. A big round of applause for showing some fighting spirit.

So its time to consider the world cup XV.

I think there are two things to consider a) the captaincy and b) the wicketkeeper.

Vaughan is both injured and out of form. If he wasn't captain he wouldn't get in either the one day squad or test team on his form since becoming captain. Strauss is also not in the form of his life but he is fit and his form improved last summer when given the responsibility. Fred has so much else to do.

I don't know if Prior is good enough at the top level but he needs and deserves a run in both forms of the game.

we have a number of injured players Vaughan, Anderson, Pieterson and Lewis and so we can't take too many players whose fitness is questionable

So my starting XI
Strauss
Joyce
Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Panesar
Anderson

the other 4?
Chapple - can bat as well as bowl
Broad
Shah

can't make my mind up over the 15th. Torn between Bopara and Mahmood. Not convinced by either of them.

3 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

Whilst your squad would cover all the angles you know as well as I that Fletcher and the "pickers" wont be as brave as you or me!!
I think they will take Vaughan he may play or not but he is a good head to have in the dressing room and whilst his batting would not be worth anything in one days I expect him to play some part.
Strauss I would prefer as skipper but I expect the selectors will stay with Flity if Vaughan not fit to play.
I'm not sure that they will take Read but Prior will not be chosen. Nixon should not go!

Lewis should stay at home.
I'd prefer Joyce but I think they will stick with Loye!

Strauss(Capt)but that wont happen!
Joyce but I expect Loye
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Read
Panesar
Plunkett
Andersen
other 4
Broad (I'd throw him in as he is the future!!)
Chappel bats too
Shah
Vaughan for his authority!!

Still I hope the Press dont build the team up too much. I would like to see them win their group and then see where we go...
The Aussies will be back but South Africa look good and the Windies in their own backyard will be tough.
India must have a chance.

Eagleseagles said...

Your team

Strauss
Joyce
Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Panesar
Anderson

the other 4?
Chapple - can bat as well as bowl
Broad
Shah

Well Prior?Read didn't make it.Nixon!! I ask you?
Vaughan in as Capt.
both Bopara and Mamoud in with Lewis

no chappel or Broad or shah.
Well as we would expect at least there is no room for Loye.

Injuries what injuries?

Hump!

C

Thank

The Quacks of Life said...

the usual odd selection C!

Blog Status

This blog is on beta blogger. I believe blogger has now fixed the comments problem.